Education: Changing the Story
"Changing the Story" is changing lives!
Changing the Story is Fedcap’s innovative, highly successful strategy to help youth and young adults achieve success in education and employment and become self-sufficient adults.
Who We Serve: Within Changing the Story, Fedcap serves youth and young adults who have spent time in foster care or are “transitioning out” of the child welfare or juvenile justice system and any young person “disconnected” from the support they need to transition successfully to adulthood.
What We Do: We provide an array of interventions designed and sequenced to achieve optimal impact. All our work is based on the fundamental belief that with support and opportunities, young people can achieve their dreams.
Our proven interventions include:
- Helping youth complete high school, (including delivery of the Pathways to Graduation program which replaces the GED curricula).
- Guiding youth in the development of their Personal Brand---and the “resume” required to get into college.
- Planful exploration of career goals and options.
- Assisting youth in completing all aspects of the college application process.
- Elevating the knowledge and skills of those who surround the young person so that they can effectively support the young person’s transition to adulthood.
- Providing critical, timely supports to ensure that the young adult graduates from college.
- Identifying grant, scholarship and financial aid options.
- Teaching the art of professional networking as part of the job search/internship process.
For youth who are not college bound, Fedcap provides vocational training through our nationally recognized Career Design School in high growth sectors accompanied by Fedcap’s’ signature work /college readiness skill development curricula.
As needed, program participants are linked to a mentor who help them learn to make the best decisions and identify a network of adult “Life Coaches” who can share specific skills and expertise as well as critical business and personal contacts. Mentors come from existing mentoring agencies in the community and through ReServe—a Division of Fedcap that matches individuals over the age of 55 with government and not for profit agencies where they can give back using their talents and expertise. ReServists have proven to be very effective mentors for youth and young adults transitioning to adulthood.
Where We Are Located: Fedcap’s Changing the Story efforts are located throughout the country including New York City (Learning to Work, Transition to Adulthood, READY, Summer Youth Employment and Arches) New Hampshire, New Jersey (Fedcap School), Washington DC (Washingtonians for Children) and Miami (READY).
Our innovative and proprietary strategies – all of which provide the opportunity to balance classroom education and real-life experience - include:
- Get Ready!™: An interactive web-based course that prepares youth to succeed in academic and employment environments. Click here to learn more.
- PrepNOW!™: A professional development course to assist foster parents in creating a college going culture in their homes. Click here to learn more
- Connect2Careers™: A highly energetic, interactive opportunity for youth to practice their informational interviewing and self-presentation skills with 25+ business representatives and career professionals. Click here to learn more.
- Networking by Design™: A networking event designed to provide youth the opportunity to make professional contacts and practice networking skills with high level professionals. Click here to learn more.
- High Impact Internships: Paid, prestigious internships in areas matching a young person’s interest and career goals. Click here to learn more.
- Success Mentors: Older individuals (55+) providing mentoring and connections to adults who can support the young person’s transition to adulthood. Click here to learn more.